Saturday, February 5, 2011

Norwich GL111 Term Project Introductions

As part of our Introduction to Oceanography class this Spring 2011 semester at Norwich University, our group will be researching and presenting on plants and animals that live in an ecosystem called a 'Hydrothermal Vent'.

We have four group members:
Liz Randall, James Abare, Rafhanah Pitkin, and Ethan Thomas

Each member of our group will be reporting on a different marine organism that lives in the hydrothermal vent ecosystem. One will be a zooplankton, one a phytoplankton, one a marine invertebrate, and one a marine vertebrate.

As part of an integrated approach, we will be researching how our organisms interact with the other aspects of the ocean system (geological, physical, and chemical).




6 comments:

  1. Hi! My name is Professor Harris. I am the teacher for this class. I will be checking in with the group from time to time. Hopefully you enjoy learning about this marine ecosystem and some of the organisms that live there as much as we do! If you have any questions, send them our way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My name is James Abare and I am a Environmental Science major at Norwich university in Northfield Vermont. I am Currently a member of the Corp of Cadets and a freshman in undergraduate studies. I will be researching a vertebrate called a Zoarcid Fish in Hydrothermal vents.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My name is Rafhanah Pitkin AKA Malaysian Tigress :) I am a Freshmen at Norwich University and I am majoring in Environmental Science. I will be studying Calanoid Capepod, which is a zoo plankton.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My name is Ethan Thomas. I will be researching chemosynthetic bacteria living at hydrothermal vents. Chemosynthetic bacteria make up the base of the food chain in this ecosystem. I am currently a Senior Geology Major at Norwich University in Northfield, Vermont.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My name is Elizabeth Randall and I am currently studying Criminal Justice at Norwich University. I am a junior in the Norwich Corps of Cadets. For this class project, I will be researching the Vulcanoctopus Hydrothermalis which is one species of octopodids known to exist in the vast open waters. It is an invertebrate that can be found amongst the Mid-Atlantic Ridge and the East Pacific Rise.

    ReplyDelete